The Taste of Shabbat Coordinators will purchase a number of items and help with set-up and clean up on day of event.
Taste of Shabbat is a Grade 2 family event from to 9:30 am to 11:45 am. It takes place in International Lounge–across the street from Rabb steps in Usdan Quad. Parents arrive after drop-off to schmooze and nosh with other parents. At 9:45, the children join and parents and children go around to three stations. Afterward, the room is reconfigured into multiple Shabbat tables while the children listen to a story. Families then sit down experience a mock Shabbat seder. When over, the kids return to their classrooms and parents remain for discussion and to sign up for Parent Connection.
Responsibilities of Coordinators are as follows:
All items purchased for the program should be brought to the program location not later than 9:30 AM on the morning of the program. All items should be nut-free.
- Purchase of these items for parents to enjoy before the children come;
- One regular box of coffee, with cream and sugar;
- One half gallon of orange juice.
- 2 dozen bagels and appropriate cream cheese.
- 3 dozen hot cold cups for coffee and juice.
- 3 dozen small plates and napkins for bagels.
- Purchase of these items for parents and children:
- 3 dozen small plates for the kids to carry home the challot they make
- An additional 60+ small plates, 60+ napkins and 60+cups for juice to set the Shabbat table.
- wax paper /saran wrap to cover breads, or large baggies to cover plates;
- a large amount of wax paper or tin foil to put on one of the tables for rolling the dough and braiding the challah
- several rolling pins for rolling the dough. BJEP staff has some pins available–just be in touch if need to use them
- Flour-a couple of cups of white flour in case the dough is sticky.
- 3 bottles of kosher-brand grape juice (Kedem brand is kosher and sold at most stores. If hard to find kosher grape juice, let the BJEP staff know and they will purchase it.)
- 6 white paper/plastic tablecloths for 6 60 inch round tables for the “shabbat dinner””–again, if difficult finding, be in touch with BJEP staff who can supply.
- one rectangular paper cloth for the bagels and coffee– again, if difficulty finding, be in touch with BJEP staff.
- Set up Refreshment Table for Parents upon Arrival.
- In the middle and during a break, help convert the room to a Shabbat Dinner setting. Other parents will also help.
- At end, help with clean-up.
Please note: Parents will only be reimbursed for expenditures over $50.00, with the first $50.00 deducted.