The Shabbat Dinner Coordinator(s) will organize the grade wide Shabbat dinner pot-luck, usually held at Temple Beth Israel in Waltham on Friday Evening between 5:30-7:30 or between 6:00-8:00 pm (depending on exact season).
Responsibility to email families to ask if attending and to assign potluck dishes. If family does not respond to email, the coordinator should follow up with a phone call.
Potluck should be vegetarian, nut free and filled with items that are tasty when cold (no way to warm food at the Temple). Each family should prepare an item for between 15-20 people. Suggested foods are: bagels and cream cheese, cold salads (fruit, green, pasta, bean etc.), kugels or quiches, hummos and pita, veggies and dip, drinks and desserts.
Be in touch with BJEP Director for template for web based pot luck sign up.
Provide or ask other families to provide (in addition to the general potluck items) the following special items:
- Paper goods: plates, cups, silverware, napkins. The exact number depends on how many people are attending. Generally buy for between 80-100 people.
- 1 roll of paper towels and 3 plastic trash bags for clean-up.
- Four 72 inch rectangular plastic clothes.
- Between 8-10 round 60 inch plastic tablecloths.
- Challah Loaves—The exact number of loaves needed fluctuates depending on class size. Usually, the number is somewhere between 8-10. We recommend Rosenfelds in Newton Centre (this is the challah that the children enjoy on Sunday morning.
The BJEP staff will provide the grape juice, candles matches, challah covers, and wine cups.
Please note: Parents will only be reimbursed for expenditures over $50.00, with the first $50.00 deducted.