An Innovative Sunday School on the Brandeis Campus
Where learning happens in Community
Happening This Week at BJEP
There are 3 wonderful programs for BJEP parents this Sunday.
1. Our learning specialist Nirith Avraham will be hosting the first of a series of Parenting Open Circles from 9:30-10:30 am in Olin Sang 116.The topic will be “Dealing with Homework.” All are welcome!
2. The 6th Grade Family Program at 10:15 am in Golding 101. We will be discussing the legacy project and then the students will join us for an interactive session about Jewish ritual objects as they relate to becoming a bar/bat mitzvah.
3. The Jewish Meditation class will meet at 9:30 in Olin Sang 112. All are welcome to join, regardless of previous attendance.
4. 5th, 6th and 7th grade parents are invited with their children to meet Bar/Bat Mitzvah tutors at 12 noon in Shiffman 201.
5. There is a Madrichim Pizza Party with Rabbi Ari Lev at 12 noon in Shiffman 217.
Note: BJEP will not be meeting on Sunday November 30. We look forward to rejoining for our final two classes of the semester on December 7th and 14th.
Chesed Fund at BJEP
This year we are building a Caring Community at BJEP.
We have much celebrate in our community. B’nei Mitzvah, weddings, babies being born, athletes, and promotions. And we as a community are also suffering. Lost jobs, sick parents, the passing of loved ones, the challenges of parenting, the stress of school.
As part of our Chesed initiative this year we are participating in what I will call Shmita Economics – where we care for one other and cultivate a sense of interdependence – and we are establishing a Chesed Fund, where we can have access to resources to care for one another. This includes helping families with tuition, supporting funeral costs and being present for what arises as we reach out to support one another.
I am asking Every BJEP Family to contribute $18 to launch this Chesed Fund. We are all members of the Chesed committee! We all have love to give and we all need to be loved. This will ensure that every family that wants to attend BJEP is able to!
Please consider writing a check or donating online, $18 towards our caring community.
Olam Chesed Yibaneh – The community we want to be part of will grow from our shared kindness!
BJEP (Boston-area Jewish Education Program) is not your traditional Hebrew school.
We’re an independent and unaffiliated community of families whose children meet on Sunday mornings on the Brandeis campus in Waltham, MA. Our program for children is taught by passionate and knowledgeable university undergraduates actively participating in Jewish life.
We’re a welcoming community, embracing Greater Boston families from all backgrounds interested in learning Hebrew and exploring Jewish traditions, values and culture.
Experiential learning and Jewish arts and culture are central to the program. We offer extended day options so children can learn Modern Hebrew, Jewish dance and Jewish theater.
We also offer adult learning, family education, and an opportunity for families to join neighborhood havurot (Jewish groups).
We run High Holiday services and provide Bar and Bat Mitzvah support.
Headed by an education director, BJEP is governed by a volunteer parent board of directors. As a co-op, parents commit to taking a job to keep tuition lower at a significant cost savings to our community.
We hope you’ll join us on your Jewish journey.
- Read about BJEP at